Turning 24 hours into 27: time management for multisport athletes

For quite some time I've been mulling writing a blog post about, well, time.  

As a multisport athlete, time management is a discipline right up there with running, cycling, transition and nutrition.  Like anyone else, fitting it all in can be a challenge.  I look at it as a giant puzzle, with family, work, volunteer commitments, down time and a social life all competing for space.  Although I don't have any children and have much respect for those who balance childcare on top of everything else!

Here are my tips for time management and prioritization: 

Your calendar is your friend.  (Except when it isn't - see the sample week below from my calendar in January!).  As a starting point, get all of your work commitments into it and then start slotting in your workouts.   

Determine your non-negotiables.  For example, you need to attend your daughter's hockey practice on Saturday mornings.  Block those off and plan your week around them.  In my case, I have a board meeting the second Tuesday each month, so I will either treat that as a full rest day or hit the gym in the morning before work.  

Prioritize the right workouts.  Protect time slots for your weaker discipline and/or the one that requires more extensive set-up.  I try to schedule runs and strength training around my bike workouts, which are at least 1.5 hours each during the week.  As a condo dweller, my cycling is restricted to evenings to avoid waking up neighbours in our building.  Coach Roger and I plot those first and schedule runs and weight training around them. 

Get your sleep.  Only you can determine how much you really need and that may be a challenge if you consume caffeine, which will mask the symptoms of fatigue.  If I get anything fewer than six seven hours, I know I won't be functioning at my best the next day.  Remember that rest and recovery are critical to getting the most out of your training and bringing your best to the rest of your life. 

Get a coach.  Coach Roger has kept my training focused on quality, rather than quantity.  Compared to others racing the Olympic distance, I reach my goals with fewer hours of training by reducing the extra miles at low intensity. 
Go easy on yourself.  After four years of training with Ignition Fitness, I've reached an equilibrium where I am dedicated to my sport, but I also know that life happens and I will occasionally miss a workout - or two.  I used to be harder on myself about that by forcing back-to-back late evening and early morning workouts to stick to the plan.  Now I'm smarter about it and know when to pull back.  

Okay, I can't promise that you can turn 24 hours into 27, but you can balance your commitments and still have a little fun. 

For more tips on fitting your workouts into your schedule, check out the March/April issue of Triathlon Canada magazine or this recent Ironman.com compilation of advice from fellow multisport athletes.

Comments

Popular Posts