Week 7: My bike has been stolen

This is the kind of post no one wants to write.  Last night, a thief stole my bike.

I had stored it in a locked SUV in my condo's underground garage, so I would be ready to head to a morning workout with fellow Ignition Fitness athletes.

But then someone broke the window of the vehicle and took off with my Cervelo.

I bought my bike a few years ago from a friend and Ironman athlete.  It's an old model but it has good karma and holds many happy memories.

Racing down the Gardiner Expressway during the 2012 Toronto Triathlon Festival

This is the bike I road at the World Age Group Duathlon Championships in Ottawa in 2013, as part of Team Canada.  I can't claim any glory or medals, but it was an honour and the experience of a lifetime.

For the past year, I've been training on my bike several days a week.  Happily, I qualified to represent Canada at Worlds again, this time in Australia, and was contemplating making the journey if I could afford it.  Closer to home, I was looking forward to riding my bike in local races this season and I've dedicated so many hours to improving my cycling.  I'm really disappointed and feel violated by this experience.

The multisport community is tight knit group of like-minded individuals.  Please keep an eye out for this kind of bike for sale.  If you see something similar on Craigslist or Kijiji in the GTA, please let me know, as it could be mine.  Please share this blog post via social media.

Here are the details:
  • Silver Cervelo Dual
  • Likely a 2006 or 2007 model
  • 56 cm frame
  • 11 speed
  • Easton wheels
  • Continental tires
  • Various recent upgrades to components that I would be able to spot
My bike has a clipless pedals and like all triathlon bikes, has a very particular fit,  which means it's useless for casual or commuter riding.  Basically, only another duathlete or triathlete would purchase a bike like this - so the pool of potential buyers for my stolen bike is small.

The bike was stolen from a locked vehicle in a condo parking garage on the edge of the Village, at Sherbourne & Wellesley.

Stock photo of this model 

As I said on Facebook, thank you to those of you who have shared kind words of support. I'm shaken up but appreciative that my partner and I are physically okay. I am also counting my blessings in life, knowing that I have many, including warm friendships and good health to participate in duathlon.

After speaking with the police this morning and returning the SUV, I caught up with my Ignition Fitness training group in time to go for a run through High Park.  It was a serene and mind-clearing experience treading through the fresh snow.

I will share updates as I have them.

Comments

Popular Posts